24-bit monitor and grass

Nalneesh Gaur ngaur at cedrus.ecn.uoknor.edu
Thu Oct 7 12:57:47 EDT 1993

-> Someone would have to prove to me that you are actually running in 24
-> bit mode (or someone has altered the GRASS code). The way X handles
-> 24 bit vs. 8 bit is so different that there is no way (that I know of)
-> that code written for 8 bit systems will actually display all of the
-> avialable colors of a 24 bit system. Most 24 bit systems can be run
-> in 8 bit mode - but then you lose the greater color capability.
->
I am not a X guru, but I can certainly say that it works for us. In fact
it works very fine and it worked as far back as the GRASS3.0 version. I heard
it from some body else who spoke to Michael Shapiro that d.mon would work
fine witha 24 bit monitor as well as a 8 bit monitor. I invite the writer to
visit this lab to get the proof.

*  Nalneesh Gaur                        [][][][]   []    []     *
*  202, West Boyd, Room 302             []    []   []    []     *
*  Environmental Modeling and GIS lab   []    []   []    []     *
*  University of Oklahoma               []    []   []    []     *
*  Norman, OK 73019                     []    []   []    []     *
*  ngaur at chief.ecn.uoknor.edu           [][][][]   [][][][]     *