s.surf.tps_bath

Helena Mitasova helena at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Wed Sep 1 22:45:21 EDT 1993

Eric Grinaker asks:

>I am creating a sea-floor elevation model with s.surf.tps, the source
>data is from digitized bathymetry points labeled with there respective
>depths.  The resulting raster layer has "above zero" elevations that
>appear to be related to sharp drops in depth.  The small amount of
>documenation I have suggests increasing the tension, however, an increase
>great enough to level the "overshoots" results in my depth locations
>appearing as a "sink hole" on the ocean floor.  Any suggestions would
>be greatly appreciated:)

smoothing (my guess 0.1) it reduces the overshoots significantly and
still preserves the topography. If you still get some"above zero"
values change them to zero using r.mapcalc (it will create a sharp edge
what may be appropriate.)

>Are there any net sources for s.surf.tps
>documentation?

just the manual page and articles in GRASSClippings (Surfaces and modeling)
(not available on net, but I can put it on moon).
However, I will be presenting a short tutorial on s.surf.tps at the upcoming
conference on Integration of GIS and Environmental modeling.
I can put my notes which will be distributed there on moon, if there is
enough interest.
We plan to prepare a tutorial, however, this is an alpha program and
 is still undergoing important changes and enhancements so we will write
it when it gets more stable.

Helena
helena at zorro.cecer.army.mil