GRASS4.1/Solaris2.2 performance

Darrell McCauley mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Thu Sep 2 23:29:39 EDT 1993

Jim Pirzyk (pirzyk at cerl.cecer.army.mil) writes on 2 Sep 93:
>v.digit
>
>When starting to register points with the digitizer
>"Digitizer read error, continue? (y/n) y"

same as I get.

>I am talking with Sun about this, but they have to get back to me.  I think
>I need to set up the /dev/ttya port just like a bidirectional port (ala
>a modem), because v.digit tries to write to the port and then read the

hmmm... I may see what our local gurus say about this (and there's
several of them, since Sun is so gracious to give us source code to
the OS :)

>I cannot get v.digit2 to even work at all, whereas Ronald & Darrell (McCaulley)
>get it work VERY VERY slowly.  I get more digitizer read errors.

I worked on this for a few hours today - see my post to grassp.
The slowness is actually with the interaction
with the monitor. I got significant speed-up by making the named pipes
local (instead of on an NFS mount). However, I still get faster
results on a sparc 2 running 4.1.1 while the named pipes are nfs-mounted.
So, the slowness is probably a Solaris thing with named pipes (or there's
a small chance that it's due to the XDRIVER or my network setup,
but I think that it's the fifos).

If you don't need the monitor while digitizing, then there's not a
problem. Just make sure your viewport area and digitizing area do not
intersect - everything is clipped and the speed is blazin'. (A fellow
Aggie spent 40-60 hours digitizing stuff from chromatography columns
and didn't care to view them right away-he was just a wee bit miffed
when he was sitting beside me today and I figured this last part out).

--Darrell

James Darrell McCauley,                "Gig 'em Aggies" (too bad they're
Purdue Univ, West Lafayette, IN 47907-1146, USA         on P-p-V this wk)
mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu, mccauley%ecn at purccvm.bitnet, pur-ee!mccauley
** avail. for full time employment 9/94-inquiries welcome (no hh, plz) **