Compressed images and networks

Conn Copas C.V.Copas at lut.ac.uk
Tue Sep 28 12:28:00 EDT 1993

Does anybody have any experience with sending compressed GRASS data across a
network, before decompressing and displaying at the other end? We are basically
trying to overcome the performance limitations of using Macs as X terminals.
I know, we will lose capabilities for map interaction, but we can handle that.
I presume we can easily enough subvert the 'd.rast' command so that no
decompression takes place at the client end. I am less certain about what might
be involved at the server end, eg, should we be attempting to incorporate the
GRASS decompression code into some display application, or is there a more
elegant solution already in existence?

--
Conn V Copas
Loughborough University of Technology          tel : +44 (0)509 222689