Colours from categories

Malcolm Williamson malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Tue Sep 28 10:54:28 EDT 1993

I'll tackle problems 2 & 3, leave the colors to someone else!

(lines deleted)

> Second problem: the elevation map has no value labels for the categories. I
> know I can add these one-by-one using r.support or r.reclass, but is there a
> faster way of doing it? ie, I want to compute the label as a function of the
> category number.

You need to write a clever little shell scripts to read each line of your cats
file and create a label entry based on the attribute value. awk might be the
tool of choice for this. (REAL Grass users are shell programmers in disguise -
just kidding!!) At least you would be able to use this in the future.

> The man pages also talk about a green thru brown thru yellow colourtable for
> elevation maps. Is this some sort of cartographers' standard? I was under the
> impression that the literature in fact recommends grey scale as being easiest
> to interpret.

Don't know the cartographer's answer, but the human eye is much more adept at
distinguishing colors than gray shades. Green thru brown seems to be frequently
used on globes, etc.

--
Malcolm D. Williamson - Research Assistant       E-mail: malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies      Telephone: (501) 575-6159