High res. output of complex frames-summary

BAKERWL BAKERWL at corral.uwyo.edu
Tue Sep 28 12:12:07 EDT 1993

The original question was whether it's possible to create a complex
frame with multiple windows, text, etc. and then somehow save this in
a higher resolution than it's displayed on screen.  The reason to want
this is that most screens have resolutions significantly less than
current printers.  For example, my Sun sparc has an 1152 X 900 pixel
screen display.  If I capture the contents of the screen and then print
it at full page size (e.g., 6" high), then resolution is only about
150 d.p.i., much less than laserjet and postscript printers can handle.

There were many answers.  There are many ways to capture the image from
the screen, save it, import it as a GRASS cell file, or print it as a
postscript file (e.g., xv, xgrab, Sun's snapshot tool, other x tools, etc.).
However, all of these simply capture the image at screen resolution.  These
do not provide a solution to the desire for resolution greater than the
screen.  One possible solution is to obtain software to create a "virtual
screen" that is larger than the real screen.  One could then pan and zoom
through the virtual screen, create the complex frame, then capture it
using the tools mentioned above.  The GRASS "CELL" display was not
recommended as it apparently has bugs.  I've tried and couldn't figure
out how to use it.

It seems that this is just another one to add to the GRASS Wish List.
It would be most useful to be able to compose a complex frame using
the traditional display on screen, then save the set of instructions
to create the complex frame (d.save), then print it at high resolution.
Perhaps this could be done in ps.map.  I appreciate the comments and
suggestions.

	Bill Baker
	bakerwl at corral.uwyo.edu