vector extraction

Bill Jackson jackson at cactus.cecer.army.mil
Wed Sep 8 11:34:10 EDT 1993

Is there a GRASS4.1 program available for "clipping" a subset of a vector
file outside of v.digit?

Occasionally when editing a vector file lines can be unintentionally deleted.
The cursor can be placed on the line to be deleted and another line. Often
a larger line segment, nowhere close to the original line, will be highlighted
instead and can get zapped. Of course, if you are careful this shouldn't happen
but when it does it is a real hassle, especially on large files.

Normally, I would make a copy of the original vector file and then edit it with
the block line delete tool to try to isolate the line or lines that were
accidentally deleted and then use v.patch to repair the file.

It would be great to be able to take a subset of a vector file as easily as
using r.mapcalc map1=map2.

If there is not a tool available to do this I will try to write a shell.

Thanks
	Bill Jackson

----- End Included Message -----

There is a v.extract program under src/contrib/SCS, but it is not
working as I expected, hence I wrote one, if you need I can mail you the
source.

Srinivasan