d.label & d.zoom display problems

Ken Sibley ksibley at ncg.scs.ag.gov
Fri Apr 1 10:47:20 EST 1994

> From grass-lists-owner at max.cecer.army.mil Fri Apr  1 09:22:05 1994
> Date: Fri, 1 Apr 94 09:04:22 CST
> From: brooks at jekyll.cecer.army.mil (Doug Brooks)
> Sender: grass-lists-owner at max.cecer.army.mil
> To: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
> Subject: d.label & d.zoom display problems
>
> Does anyone have any experience with an ATI Ultra graphics card?  I've
> been talking to a person from the Soil Conservation Service in Montana
> who has this card but is having some problems with his system locking
> up whenever he tries to run d.label or d.zoom.  He is able to display
> raster and vector with no problem.
>
> His configuration is a Dell 450DE which is a 486 box with ATT Unix.
> The video card is 8514 Compatible.
>
> I don't have too many other clues to give you but if you have any
> suggestions, please contact him directly.  He is not available via
> the internet, so you will need to call.
>
> His name is Stan Hamilton and his phone number is 406-587-6826.
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide him.
>
> Doug
>

> ++  Doug Brooks                     ++  Internet Address:             ++
> ++  U.S. Army Corps of Engineers    ++  brooks at cecer.army.mil         ++
> ++  Champaign, IL                   ++  Phone: (217) 373-4433         ++

Here is some more information on Stan's setup:
He is running AT&T Unix Sys V Rel 3.2.x with a 1mb ATI Ultra Graphics Card.
He is not running X at all.  There is a driver called the vdc800 driver
which is an 8514/a compatible driver that he is trying to use.  He starts
grass from a dumb terminal.  Then he starts the graphics driver from
the grass session window.  As Doug says he is able to display raster
and vector but d.zoom and d.label lock up on him.

If you have any suggestions for Stan and cannot reach him by phone
I can relay mail messages via our SCS uucp network.

Ken Sibley
USDA-SCS
ksibley at ncg.scs.ag.gov