libF77.so.1

Mark P. Line markline at henson.cc.wwu.edu
Fri Apr 1 15:46:33 EST 1994

On Fri, 1 Apr 1994, Doug Bradley wrote:

> 	I've been fooling around with permissions on my SUN Sparc 10 and
> now I can't get GRASS to come up.  After the Grass login to which I supply
> the MAPSET etc.  I get the following message.
>

> ld.so: libF77.so.1: not found
> ld.so: libF77.so.1: not found
> /large/grass4.1/etc/GIS.sh: GISDBASE: parameter null or not set

Although I'm mildly surprised that a GRASS 4.1 startup program would be
needing the F77 library, I guess the problem here could have (at least)
two different causes. You might have changed the permissions on your
libF77.so.1 such that it can't be read, or libF77.so.1 might actually be
missing. If it's missing, then it probably used to be a symbolic link to
the latest sub-revision of rev 1 of libF77.so, and somehow that link got
capped.

If it's just the permissions, then I can't imagine the problem not going
away after you correct the permissions so that the library can be read --
then again, I would have thought you'd already tried that. If the problem
is with the symbolic link, you need to reinstate the link so that the
dynamic loader finds a file with the name it's looking for.

If this doesn't help, then I guess I need more information. You can email
me for that.

Oh, yes, the short answer -- Yes, you're right: dynamic loading is
currently "transitional technology", and is not always everything it's
cracked up to be.

> Anyone of you UNIX GURUS have nay ideas?

Ollaysglatoobeevhelp (to be read with a Gujarati accent).

-- Mark

Mark P. Line                       Phone: +1-206-733-6040
Open Pathways                        Fax: +1-206-733-6040
P.O. Box F                         Email: markline at henson.cc.wwu.edu
Bellingham, WA 98227-0296