new mapgen compilation problems

Gerald I. Evenden gie at charon.er.usgs.gov
Mon Apr 4 20:28:45 EDT 1994

>Date: Mon, 4 Apr 1994 22:31:11 GMT
>Subject: new mapgen compilation problems
>From: ront at picea.CFNR.ColoState.EDU (Ronald Thomas)
>To: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
>
>Hello again!
>
>I retrieved the new mapgen (with PROG.4 included) from the moon, but cannot
>get the thing compiled.  Didn't someone just last week mention that they
>compiled MAPGEN, etc., on a platform running SOLARIS 2.x?  If so, could you

>So, I attempt to complie PROJ.4, and can't get past the first steps.  I
>modified the "install" script some, but still get a "Segmentation Failt -
>core dumped " message at one of the first projections.
>
>Is anyone planning on writing a Gmakefile for PROG.4, or will we non-techie
>types be stuck keeping a version of GRASS4.0 and its MAPGEN on our machines
>if we want decent vector output from GRASS?
>
>Thanks for any help that can be offered!!
>
>Ronald Thomas                                ront at meeker.cfnr.colostate.edu
> Natural Resource Spec. (GIS)         ^^^    Phone: 303-586-1285
>  Resources Management Division  ^^  ^^^^^   FAX: 303-586-1310
>   Rocky Mountain National Park ^^^ ^^^^^^^  Estes Park, CO  80517

I am only stepping into this because of some of the previous comments
related to MAPGEN/PROJ and versions, ... etc. etc.

I would like to help with the intallation problem with PROJ.4, but from
the problem description and the fact that it was not obtained
from charon.er.usgs.gov, there is not much I can do.

Secondly, PROJ.4 is of interest to others that are not involved with
GRASS and thus have no need to be involved with "Gmakefile", a system
unique to GRASS.  With the release of PROJ.4.3 I attempted to further
simplify the installation of PROJ.4 by use of the fairly common FSF
"configure" method.  This was with mixed success, but learning was
required on my part and it is hoped glitches will be ironed out in
future releases.

Thirdly, I am almost constantly available for consulation on PROJ.4
and will be glad to assist anyone who is trying to install or use it.
But, I can only do this with versions from charon.er.usgs.gov.  This
is of mutual benefit, the user gets help and I learn of problems
which I can hopefully fix in future releases.

Lastly, some fairly low-tech oriented users have successfully installed
PROJ.4.x.

Gerald (Jerry) I. Evenden   Internet: gie at charon.er.usgs.gov
voice: (508)563-6766          Postal: P.O. Box 1027
  fax: (508)457-2310                  N.Falmouth, MA 02556-1027