new mapgen compilation problems

Ronald Thomas ront at niwot.CFNR.ColoState.EDU
Tue Apr 5 09:43:53 EDT 1994

In article <9404050028.AA19641 at charon.er.usgs.gov> you write:

>I am only stepping into this because of some of the previous comments
>related to MAPGEN/PROJ and versions, ... etc. etc.
>
>I would like to help with the intallation problem with PROJ.4, but from
>the problem description and the fact that it was not obtained
>from charon.er.usgs.gov, there is not much I can do.

With our static (36 quad) database, we have little/no need for the PROJ
software itself, except that it has been built into MAPGEN, and we find
MAPGEN with its GRASS interface a useful tool.

>Lastly, some fairly low-tech oriented users have successfully installed
>PROJ.4.x.
>
>Gerald (Jerry) I. Evenden   Internet: gie at charon.er.usgs.gov
>voice: (508)563-6766          Postal: P.O. Box 1027
>  fax: (508)457-2310                  N.Falmouth, MA 02556-1027

Obviously, my comments offended;  while many programs are developed for
seemless compilation under SunOS 4.1.3, making novice systems administators
look like (and think) they actually know something about programming,
those of us struggling with SOLARIS 2.x have two choices;

1)  Spend valuable hours away from the job at hand, which is developing a
database and performing the support services for which we were hired,
while we attempt to change BSD code to SYSV code so that we can compile and
use GRASS modules, or

2) do without some GRASStools that many take for granted as part of the
program.
(r.poly still dies under SOLARIS, took me 2 days to 'guess' what changes to
make to the r.tiff code).

Open-GIS is a wonderful concept, but working-GIS is a more relevant concept.
I define success in my job by what I can do with the tools; not by how I
overcame obstacles in getting the tools to work in the first place.

Which brings me back to my original call for assistance:  if anyone can
assist with the SOLARIS 2.x compilation of the SCS/MAPGEN-GRASS program,
I'd sure appreciate the help.

Ronald Thomas                                ront at meeker.cfnr.colostate.edu
 Natural Resource Spec. (GIS)         ^^^    Phone: 303-586-1285
  Resources Management Division  ^^  ^^^^^   FAX: 303-586-1310
   Rocky Mountain National Park ^^^ ^^^^^^^  Estes Park, CO  80517