TcltkGRASS/Linux:1,2,3

Mark P. Line markline at henson.cc.wwu.edu
Fri Apr 8 00:07:52 EDT 1994

On Fri, 8 Apr 1994, Minjiao LU wrote:

> >If you don't have the tcl/tk package, you need to get the source
> >code(and binaries) from sunsite.unc.edu in pub/Linux/devel/tcl.
>
> What is the difference between the one at
> sunsite.unc.edu:pub/Linux/devel/tcl and the one at berkley(I am sorry, I
> forgot the name of that machine).

You can get Linux binaries for Tcl and Tk from sunsite, but probably not
from the Berkeley site (ftp.cs.berkeley.edu, /ucb/tcl). Also, the sources
you get from sunsite have been patched to compile correctly out of the box
on Linux, as far as I know, which may not be true of the original sources
you might get from the Berkeley site.

Another good place for everything having to do with Tcl or Tk is
harbor.ecn.purdue.edu, /pub/tcl.

Finally, the newest release of Softlanding Linux, SLS 1.05, will include
just about everything available from the Tcl/Tk world that's runnable on
Linux. It will also contain Tcl and Tk themselves, of course, as binary
installations. Softlanding has made a strategic decision to migrate great
gobs of stuff over to Tcl/Tk. Synergy at work, as they say.

> If possible, Could you tell us the version of tcl and tk needed?

Tcl 7.3 and Tk 3.6 are the most recent available, and that's what
tcltkgrass seems to have been developed with.

-- Mark

Mark P. Line                       Phone: +1-206-733-6040
Open Pathways                        Fax: +1-206-733-6040
P.O. Box F                         Email: markline at henson.cc.wwu.edu
Bellingham, WA 98227-0296