digitizer settings

Malcolm Williamson malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Tue Apr 12 15:58:33 EDT 1994

> Hi,
> I am trying to set up our Calcomp 9500 digitizer with the settings I received
> from Ken Sibley.  The digitizer I will be using is used being used by Arc-Info
> users.  I understand that it is possible to save a set of parameters, and that
> the parameters used by arc-info are different than the ones for GRASS.  The
> problem I face is that the template was removed from the digitizer.  How do I
> "tell the digitizer" where the template is?  It would be nice if I did not
> override the Arc-info parameters in the process.  Also how do I save the GRASS
> settings to recall them when I start digitizing.
>
> Thanks for any help.  Kathy
> Doyle

Kathy,
We use the following script to configure our Altek AC31 digitizer controller
for use with three different software packages (GRASS, Arc/Info, PCI). Perhaps
you can modify it to suit your requirements.

config_altek - written by Ravi Kiran, Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies
#!/bin/sh
#Program : To configure Altek Digitizer AC31

#confirm if this is the port being used for the digitiser

echo ""
echo "	Digitizer Setup"
echo ""
echo "	Program assumes serial port used is \"/dev/ttya\" "
echo -n "	Is this correct ? (y/n)	[y] "
read answer

#If default answer then serial port is ttya
if [ "$answer" = "" ]  || [ "$answer" = y ]
then
	echo ""
	ser_port="/dev/ttya"
	echo "	Serial port is $ser_port"
	echo ""
else
	echo ""
	ser_port="/dev/ttyb"
	echo "	Serial port is $ser_port"
	echo ""
fi

echo "	Enter the Application Number :"
echo ""
echo "		1. PCI"
echo "		2. Grass"
echo "		3. Arc-Info"

echo ""
echo -n "	Enter Choice [2] "
read appnum

case $appnum in
	1) 	echo ""
	 	echo " 		PCI Mode selected for digitizer"
		echo \033 > $ser_port	#Reset controller first
		#PCI setting
		echo R2 > $ser_port	#Rate 2
		echo I5 > $ser_port	#Increment 5
		echo P  > $ser_port	#Point Mode
		echo M1 > $ser_port	#Resolution 1
		echo F1 > $ser_port	#Format 1
		echo c1 > $ser_port	#Carriage Return on
		echo l1 > $ser_port	#Linefeed on
		echo B1 > $ser_port	#Beeper turned on
		echo W  > $ser_port	#Save in NonVolatileRam
		echo ""
		echo "		Initialising done for PCI"
		echo "" ;;

	2) 	echo ""
	 	echo "		Grass Mode selected for digitizer"
		#Grass Setting
		echo \033 > $ser_port	#Reset controller first
		echo R2 > $ser_port	#Rate 2
		echo I5 > $ser_port	#Increment 5
		echo P  > $ser_port	#Point Mode
		echo M1 > $ser_port	#Resolution 1
		echo F8 > $ser_port	#Format 8
		echo c0 > $ser_port	#Carriage Return off
		echo l1 > $ser_port	#Linefeed on
		echo B1 > $ser_port	#Beeper turned on
		echo W  > $ser_port	#Save in NonVolatileRam
		echo ""
		echo "		Initialising done for Grass"
		echo "" ;;

	3) 	echo ""
	 	echo " 		ARC-INFO Mode selected for digitizer"
		echo \033 > $ser_port	#Reset controller first
		echo R2 > $ser_port	#Rate 2
		echo I5 > $ser_port	#Increment 5
		echo P  > $ser_port	#Point Mode
		echo M1 > $ser_port	#Resolution 1
		echo F10 > $ser_port	#Format 10
		echo c0 > $ser_port	#Carriage Return off
		echo l1 > $ser_port	#Linefeed on
		echo B1 > $ser_port	#Beeper turned on
		echo W  > $ser_port	#Save in NonVolatileRam
		echo ""
		echo "		Initialising done for ARC-INFO"
		echo "" ;;

	[4-9] ) echo "		No Mode chosen !!"
		echo "		Digitizer settings not changed"
		echo "" ;;
esac

--
Malcolm D. Williamson - Research Assistant       E-mail: malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies      Telephone: (501) 575-6159