Trouble w/ SOLARIS mons

kang at risca.rs.msu.edu kang at risca.rs.msu.edu
Tue Aug 2 22:52:10 EDT 1994

To GRASS users with Solaris 2.3:
	I recently compiled the GRASS 4.1 update 4 on our Sun SPARC20.  Every
thing went smoothly.  I only compiled the src and src.alpha codes.  There are
only one code change and one important note when creating the header file.  I
think this should be helpful.
Since the XDRIVER is a problem on the Solaris 2.3, you must add
"-R/usr/openwin/lib" after -L/usr/openwin/lib for the XLIBPATH variable.  Here
is the XLIBPATH in my header file:
XLIBPATH            = -L/usr/openwin/lib -R/usr/openwin/lib

Once it compiled, when displaying any maps, it will "think" for one or two
seconds, then, the maps (vertor or raster) come even faster than on a SUN
SPARC10 with SUN OS 4.1.4.  I have not test any other features or commands of
GRASS on the Solaris, but our grass users did not complain anything so far.
The other minor modification is for the v.in.tig.lndmk (src.alpha) command.
I need to change the including file strings.h to string.h in the
src.alpha/mapdev/v.in.tig.lndmk/match_text.c file.  Don't try to use the
strings.h in the /usr/ucbinclude.  This ucbinclude will eventually disappear.

My final GISBASE directory is about 40 MB on the Solaris 2.3.

Yung-Tsung Kang
Center for Remote Sensing, Michigan State University