Version 2.1 of the r.le programs on grass/incoming

BAKERWL at UWYO.EDU BAKERWL at UWYO.EDU
Wed Aug 3 00:09:07 EDT 1994

Version 2.1 of the r.le programs can be downloaded from grass/incoming
on the moon server in files rle21.tar.Z and rle21.README.  The r.le
programs are a set of 7 contributed programs for computing 60+ common
measures of landscape structure from GRASS raster maps.  The revised
r.le.pixel program may also be of general interest, as it will now find
the minimum, maximum, mean, and standard deviation of category values
in a raster map and make a new map of standardized scores (zscores).

If you have version 2.05 beta installed, version 2.1 is replacement code.
The programs have been extensively rewritten.  The most significant changes
are that they will now work with large maps (e.g., 5000 rows X 5000 cols and
200,000 patches), there is a new measure for patch interior and some other
new measures, the programs are about 25% faster, and there are numerous
minor bug fixes.

I would like to thank Jerry Evenden, who helped me with a string programming
problem, and Yung-Tsung Kang at Michigan St. Univ., who helped with last
minute testing of r.le.setup under Solaris 2.3, as well as the users who
have taken the time to provide feedback and suggestions for improvement.

If you are interested in trying the code, please do so soon.  I will be
leaving for Australia around dinner time Wednesday, Aug. 3 returning
Aug. 31.  Send an E-mail message if you encounter problems before I leave.

This is contributed code.  Send all comments, bug reports, and suggestions
directly to me, not to CERL.  If you have problems while I'm in Australia,
send a message to the user's list.

	Bill Baker
	bakerwl at uwyo.edu
	Department of Geography