Grassu archives searching?

Ronald Thomas ront at picea.CNR.ColoState.EDU
Fri Aug 12 09:09:12 EDT 1994

In article <199408120533.AAA13517 at max.cecer.army.mil> grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil writes:
>Dear Netters,
>is there any way to search ?through the grassu-list archives at
>the max.cecer.army.mil site?
>Many problems haunting a grass novice were probably grilled there
>zillions of times.
>Cheerio, Ania

Don't know about searching achives on the "moon"; best bet is to retrieve
the achives and search at your own site.  Your comments about some
questions being asked (& answered) over & over are right on.

Here is a script I use to query a copy of the archives that I keep:
---------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh
#This script "grassu94" searches for a 'keyword' in the following
# file:  grassu.92.gz.  If it finds whatever you requested, the
# script then prints that line or lines out on the terminal.  If it doesn't
# find what you asked for, the script will tell you that it can't be found.
# usage: grassu94 'keyword'
if test $# -gt 0
then
  arg="$*"
  gzcat $HOME/mail/grassu.94.gz | grep -i -n "$arg" | more
  es=$?
  if test $es = '0'
  then
    exit 0
  else
    echo "$*" not found in grassu.94 file.
    exit 1
  fi
else
  echo You have not entered anything to look up.
  exit 2
fi
-----------------------
The following script file can be used to delete a LOT of extraneous header
lines that unfortunately come with the archives -- I estimate this reduces
the size of the achives by 30%.  Of course, UNIX compress of GNU gzip
should be used to keep the 'cleaned' file as small as possible, but that's
a personal decision.

----------------------
#clean
#usage: clean 'file'