GRASS with LAN

Ken Sibley ksibley at ncg.scs.ag.gov
Mon Aug 15 15:15:18 EDT 1994

> Hi Everyone,
>
> 	I am trying to setup a local network to run GRASS for GIS training
> course. All the machines that I have are PCs with USL UNIX SVR4.2.
>
> 	Does anyone can give me some idea about what hardware and software
> needed to setup such LAN? Are there any extra compilation to be done on
> GRASS code to produce a LAN version of it?
>
> 	I remembered that not too long ago this topic has been discussed
> in this place. However, I traced through the GRASS mail archive and couldn't
> find them. If anyone can point me out where to find them may also a help.
>
> 	Thank you in advance

There are no specific changes to grass that need to be made to run in
a networked environment.  If you are using NFS/RFS to do file sharing
there are a couple of things to keep in mind.  Each display will need
a seperate monitor (at least one each); this needs to be put in the
etc/monitorcap file.  Seperate digitizer entries need to be made
for each machine for the mouse; to be put in etc/digcap (4.1).
Each user will need a seperate login to get into grass without being
able to get into the same mapset assuming you will also be sharing
data as well as the software.  If you need some more specific answers
let me know offlist.

Ken Sibley
USDA-SCS/NCG		"Hell, if you understand everything I say,
ksibley at ncg.scs.ag.gov   you'd be me!"  - Miles Davis