source vs binary

Rica Saporta saporta at smokey.forestry.utoronto.ca
Thu Aug 18 11:49:05 EDT 1994

good day, again,
as most of you have probably surrmized, i am no sys-op nor an expert in
UNIX, but it has still fallen on me to install GRASS - an
adventure i am looking forward to >:)

i would really appreciate some help on these two wuestions:
1) as suggested by many of you i ftp'd GohstView in the form
   of the file gsview11.zip: here is the rub, what is a zip file?
   I have tried moving the file to DOS and using PKUNZIP, which
   is the only thing i could think of, but PKUNZIP dosen't
   know what to do with the expanded files (litteraly) so it
   aborts.  any thoughts (i didnt use UNCOMPRESS because its not
   a .Z file)

2) i have read the installation guide from the moon and understood
   most of it. here is the question.
    a) if i have a SUN SparcStation 10 using SunOS 4.1.3 and
       OpenWindows version 3, can i use the binaries or do
       i need to use the source files/
       (i understand that the binary was compile for a certain
        Sun architecture but its not mentioned as far as i can tell)
    b) do i install grass or sould i install the Xdriver for xgrass?

thank you very much for any help you can send this way ...

rica "lost in the wide open medows" saporta

|  Rica Saporta  B.Sc.F     |              __  _-==-=_,-.                  |
|  Faculty of Forestry      |             /--`' \_ at -@.--<                  |
|  University of Toronto    |             `--'\ \   <___/.  "Cause         |
|  33 Willcocks Street      |                  \ \\   ' /    tiggers  are  |
|  Toronto, Canada          |                   >=\\_/`<       wonderfull  |
|  M5S 3B3                  |       ____       /= |  \_|/         things"  |
|     >>   saporta at smokey.forestry.utoronto.ca     <<                      |