d.mon only works for root

Bill Voigt voigtw at insect.berkeley.edu
Mon Aug 29 16:19:02 EDT 1994

I've been doing alot of system backups/restorations & other things
relating to the reinstallation of a Linux/grass configuration on a 2 Gb
scsi disk.  I must say that I am not the most unix literate of users, and
I think I may have inadvertently changed permissions somewhere along the
way to arrive at the following symptoms:
	I log in as a regular user, start X, open a shell, start grass4.1.
When I run d.mon start=x0, I get a strange message
	Can't start x0
	Graph_Set: 0.0
	.
	.
	.
When I do the same procedure as root, I get a graphics monitor fine.  I
have tried to reset ownership & permissions for the entire grass
directories, but to no avail.  Right now, I'm reloading my system from
the last tape backup after finally admitting defeat.  However, I'd still
like to figure out the problem.  Any ideas?
|	 /\ \  / /\ 	Bill Voigt 				             |
|	//\\ .. //\\    Laboratory of Biological Control                     |
|	//\((  ))/\\    University of California, Berkeley                   |
|	/  < `' >  \	(510) 643-8488				             |
|			(510) 642-7992					     |