Make A Wish Come True

Brian Buckley buckley at ig0.rs.msu.edu
Tue Aug 30 12:33:28 EDT 1994

> > Craig Shergold has a brain tumor and is said to not have long to live.
> > Please disseminate widely.
>
> The family no longer receives the cards/notes/letters. They are destroyed
> and the family no longer wishes to receive the cards. Please ignore these
> requests that pop up every once in a while.
>
> Steve Franklin

Hello again,

I just called the Make-A-Wish foundation and got the real scoop on
the Craig Shergold story.  Probably should have done this first,
sorry.  Since another department in our building just got the letter
yesterday and the address was directly to Make-A-Wish foundation,
I didn't suspect a hoax.  Anyway ...

Craig Shergold was diagnosed with a brain tumor in 1989 and because
of the number of "greeting" (not business) cards he received, he
decided he would like to try to go for the Guiness record for number
of greeting cards received.  In May 1990 he was put into the Guiness
book of world records for receiving 15 Million greeting cards.  In
March of 1991, he had an operation and the tumor was successfully
removed.  Today, at 14, he is expected to lead a full and normal
life.

The Make-A-Wish foundation did not start and has had no part in the
thousands of letters all across the country (world?) soliciting
business cards for Craig.  It is unknown who started those letters.

Thanks for your responses to my first postings,
- Brian Buckley
buckley at ig0.rs.msu.edu

P.S. If you want to verify, call 1-800-215-1333.