Generating circles

N R A nra at cix.compulink.co.uk
Thu Dec 15 08:25:00 EST 1994

Can anyone help with this problem. I have a list of 'sites' - actually
ground water abstraction sites - and I want to produce some maps which
shows a 1 km circle around each one. These maps will act as overlaps for
some of our personnel - they want to be able to look at a map coordinate
and check whether the point is close to an abstraction point.

I can load the points as sites, but whats the best way to produce the
'overlay' - I'd thought of it as being a simple raster layer, with 0/1
values for inside/outside the 1 km zone. How can I convert a single site
into a circle of radius 1 km ??

Sorry if this is a really silly question, but I'm a chemist who's learnt
about computers, not a GIS expert  8-(

Thanks for any help,

Steve Culshaw
NRA North West