link files on CDROM

Malcolm Williamson malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Wed Jan 5 13:00:09 EST 1994

Ye Qi writes:

> I am trying to use the data on a CDROM which are in grass format (cell and
> cellhd).  I used command ln and I got a series of response like the following:
>

> ln: /ud2/Grass/grass.data/ndvi-biweek/PERMANENT/cell/bw9152.img: Cross-device link
>
> I think the files are linked to the hard disk.  However I still cannot use these
> data.  For example, when I ran r.support I cannot find those files on the list.
> Could anyone tell me how I can use the data on CDROM without copying them to
> hard disk ?

If the data on the cdrom is under a mapset directory "PERMANENT" and you have
the cdrom mounted as /cdrom, you would do the following:

ln -s /cdrom/PERMANENT /ud2/Grass/grass.data/ndvi-biweek

Good luck,
--
Malcolm D. Williamson - Research Assistant       E-mail: malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies      Telephone: (501) 575-6159