Problem w/ GRASS, linux, and terminfo

Charles E Meier cemeier at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Wed Jan 5 12:59:02 EST 1994

I've installed the binary version of GRASS for linux.  Some of it seems to work
quite well (e.g. I can display the spearfish data using d.mon).  On the other
hand, some elementary commands are giving me fits - g.help in particular.

When I type g.help, I get a rather jumbled screen.  Words run togetherlikethis
and places in the text that look as if they would be likely candidates for a
cr/lf break don't have 'em.  The top of my screen looks something like:

+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+d
     - this should scroll the dang screen up one line          r -      doeswha
tever r does   etc
more text.........+------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------+And now we start the help text...

Similar problems show up on the initial screen where you are given the option
of changing the location, database, and mapset.  Note that the help text
itself looks fine if I just page through it using more.

My guess is I've got a terminfo problem.  I am gradually working my way thru
the linux console.c routine (pl13) in conjunction w/ the O'Reilly _Termcap and
Terminfo_ book in order to get a working terminfo entry but I haven't hit that
spectacular combo of corrected capabilities that cures the GRASS problem
although other programs seem to work fine (vi, pcomm, etc).

Could some kind soul who doesn't have this problem e-mail a terminfo entry that
works?  The xterm entry that was w/ the linux binaries has the same problems.

Thanks in advance -

--

            Charles E. Meier      <cemeier at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>

- "You can learn a lot from listening to people talk.  Why everything I know
today I've learned from listening to myself talk about things that I knew
absolutely nothing about." - Gracie Allen