X-windows on Linux: Installation

wadada AGYEI at net2.eos.uoguelph.ca
Thu Jan 6 14:53:56 EST 1994

NOTE: SORRY FOR SENDING THIS MESSAGE TWICE, I DID SOME CONFIGURATION
IN MY MAIL SETTING AND JUST REALIZED THAT REPLIES TO MY REQUEST WILL
BE DIRECTED TO eugene at net2.eos.uoguelph.ca instead of
agyei at net2.eos.uoguelph.ca PLEASE ACCEPT MY APOLOGY

Hi Comerades,
I have successfully completed installing Linux/GRASS.

My problem is after invoking "startx", I get six seperate screens
(all with the mouse pointer). Each of these screens has a small
window (violet with red outlines) with vertical and horizontal grids
intersecting to form 9 squares within the window.

The mouse work alright only that for any action that I invoke in a
screen, a similar response is observed in the other five screens. For
example if i invoke the calculator in one screen, I get a calculator
in all the other 5 screens. In a nutshell I have a screen with 5
replicas anytime I invoke the X-windows. I think the problem now is
getting rid of the other 5 screens so that I can have one big screen.
Apart from this everything works fine. I could invoke the screen
saver, clock, shell etc. The major set back is that because I have
six screens, I could hardly visualize/read the contents of the
calculatior, clock etc. To help you help me, here are the contents
of my Xconfig file:

 ACCEL
 Virtual 1024 768
 Viewport 0 0
 Modes   "800x600"

 ModeDB
 #name      clock  horizontal timing  vertical timing     flags
 "800x600"   76    800 824 896 1024   600 601 603 625
 Note: To get the system working as it is, I had to uncomment Clocks
"icd 206ia". Upon leaving this commented, I received the following
message:

    fatal server error:
    There is no defined dot-clock matching "800x600"
I could not get into X-windows after getting this error message.

I also get the warning message:

Warning: the directory "/usr/X386/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/" does not
exist. (Actually I scanned through the directories and found no such
directory). Nonetheless with this warning I was still able to get into
X- windows(with my six screens).
The following info on my system may be helpful to you to arrive at a
solution:

MONITOR TYPE:
NEC Multisync 3FGe

Video card: MACH 32 (Graphics Ultra Pro, 2.0MB VRAM Memory)
Monitor: NEC 3D , vertical Frequency=87Hz, Resolution=1024x768
Power Up Video Mode: VGA(CV80)
VGA Memory type: Shared (Available Options: shared, 256Kb, 512Kb, 1Mb)
I believe I have given enough info to help you help me. Please any
help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

eugene
            e-mail: agyei at net2.eos.uoguelph.ca