X-windows on Linux: Installation

wadada AGYEI at net2.eos.uoguelph.ca
Thu Jan 6 14:12:46 EST 1994

Hi Comerades,
I have successfully completed installing Linux/GRASS.

My problem is after invoking "startx", I get six seperate screens
(all with the mouse pointer). Each of these screens has a small
window (violet with red outlines) with vertical and horizontal grids
intersecting to form 9 squares within the window.

The mouse work alright only that for any action that I invoke in a
screen, a similar response is observed in the other five screens. For
example if i invoke the calculator in one screen, I get a calculator
in all the other 5 screens. In a nutshell I have a screen with 5
replicas anytime I invoke the X-windows. I think the problem now is
getting rid of the other 5 screens so that I can have one big screen.
Apart from this everything works fine. I could invoke the screen
saver, clock, shell etc. The major set back is that because I have
six screens, I could hardly visualize/read the contents of the
calculatior, clock etc. To help you help me, here are the contents
of my Xconfig file:

 ACCEL
 Virtual 1024 768
 Viewport 0 0
 Modes   "800x600"

 ModeDB
 #name      clock  horizontal timing  vertical timing     flags
 "800x600"   76    800 824 896 1024   600 601 603 625
 Note: To get the system working as it is, I had to uncomment Clocks
"icd 206ia". Upon leaving this commented, I received the following
message:

    fatal server error:
    There is no defined dot-clock matching "800x600"
I could not get into X-windows after getting this error message.

I also get the warning message:

Warning: the directory "/usr/X386/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/" does not
exist. (Actually I scanned through the directories and found no such
directory). Nonetheless with this warning I was still able to get into
X- windows(with my six screens).
The following info on my system may be helpful to you to arrive at a
solution:

MONITOR TYPE:
NEC Multisync 3FGe

Video card: MACH 32 (Graphics Ultra Pro, 2.0MB VRAM Memory)
Monitor: NEC 3D , vertical Frequency=87Hz, Resolution=1024x768
Power Up Video Mode: VGA(CV80)
VGA Memory type: Shared (Available Options: shared, 256Kb, 512Kb, 1Mb)
I believe I have given enough info to help you help me. Please any
help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

eugene
            e-mail: agyei at net2.eos.uoguelph.ca