Hardcopy HP DesignJet 650C Questions

Darrell McCauley mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Thu Jan 6 19:30:22 EST 1994

Steffen Meyer (sm646601 at longs.lance.colostate.edu) writes on 06 Jan 94:
>We are considering the DesignJet HP 650C plotter/printer by
>Hewlett Packard.  Our representative is stating
>  resolution of color 300 dpi, b/w 600 dpi;
>  36 inch plot width with 150 feet ( :-} ) length.
>  HPGL and PS languages.

>Does anyone have experience creating output for this device?
>
>Are there considerations for typical appraoches to
>GRASS hardcopy ppm, etc. we should be aware of up front?

ps.map seems to be the up-and-coming method of choice for grass maps,
and since this reads PostScript, you may be in luck. I have not used
ps.map to create plots this wide (I assume it is possible).

If you have grass already setup there (I assume you'll be using grass
to create output), I'd recommend getting the necessary documentation
and try to configure ps.map to create a file for this. Then, put it on
disk and take it to your vendor and see how a printed map looks.

Depending on how costly this beast is, it is not out of the question
to ask to try it out for a week or two before buying.

--Darrell