How to uncompress v.atlas.tar.gz

Darrell McCauley mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Fri Jan 7 18:08:11 EST 1994

Chin Shien Wu (johnwu at forestry.auburn.edu) writes on 7 Jan 94:
[slightly reformatted for terminals less that 280 chars wide :) ]
>I just got a file called "v.atlas.tar.gz" in the /incoming directory
>from CERL. Could someone please tell me how to uncompress (untar?) the
>file. Since I am not in the grass user list, please send me e-mail
>directly. My e-mail address is "johnwu at forestry.auburn.edu". Thank you
>very much.

the .gz extension indicates the GNU gzip program was used. This
provides much greater compression that the standard UNIX 'compress.'
Because of this and the fact that it's GNU, it's output is fast
replacing .Z files on ftp sites (e.g., all of my stuff on
pasture.ecn.purdue.edu uses this - if I used 'compress' I would not
have any quota left)

It would behoove any potential net-scavenger to install a copy.

To uncompress a file:
 % gunzip file.gz
To write this to standard output (like zcat),
 % gunzip -c file.gz
The latter is useful when used in conjunction with
tar
 % gunzip -c file.tar.gz | tar xvf -

To get a copy of gzip/gunzip, use anonymous ftp:
prep.ai.mit.edu:pub/gnu/gzip-1.2.4.tar
(that IP number is 18.71.0.38 for those less fortunate)

--
James Darrell McCauley, Purdue Univ, West Lafayette, IN 47907-1146, USA
mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu, mccauley%ecn at purccvm.bitnet, pur-ee!mccauley