site_ASCII_TO_raster

Helena Mitasova helena at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Sun Jan 9 21:53:57 EST 1994

>> Situation:
>> 	1. Have 2 ASCII data files.  x, y, and z coordinates.
>> 	2. One file contains nearshore data and the other
>> 	    contains offshore data.
>> Goal:
>> 	1. Combine data to make a raster map of combined data.
>> Have tried:
>> 	1.  s.in.ascii and s.surf.tps under no tension
>> 	    When nearshore and offshore is done seperately,
>> 	    the contours come out looking good.
>> 	2.  Tried combining and the offshore plays havic on
>> 	    the onshore.

>Can you do the two maps separately, and use a mask layer based on
>the shoreline to zero out the parts of each map that don't count,
>then simply add the two maps together?  I am assuming "nearshore"
>means on "land", and that the discontinuity is the actual shoreline.

Working with mask as suggested by Martin worked very well for me
when I needed a discontinuity (or fault) along a given line.
(you can define the mask as an option when running s.surf.tps)
We are developing  some other approaches to problems involving
modeling the surfaces with abrupt changes
so I would like to ask the original sender of the message if he can
contact me, define more accuratelly his problems and give us a
sample of his data, if possible.

Thank you in advance,

Helena Mitasova
U.S.Army CERL
helena at zorro.cecer.army.mil

P.S. This sounds sort of embarassing but I don't understand what do
you mean by "the offshore plays havic on the onshore" so in fact,
I did not know what to answer. It also was not quite clear to me
what was meant by "s.surf.tps under no tension".