Problems with xgrass4.1 binary version

Ken Sibley ksibley at ncg.scs.ag.gov
Fri Jan 14 12:04:28 EST 1994

> Hello Ken!
>
> >From info.grass.programmer it seems like you know how xgrass is
> working, so I would like to ask you a question.
>
> My name is Terje Midtboe. I have installed the
> new binary-version of grass4.1 on a SPARC station.
> We are using X11 windows-system.
>
> It seeems to work, BUT a lot of warning messages is showing up at the
> window where I started xgrass. I guess it is only a detail I need to
> fix. Can you explain how to make the program run
> without these warnings.
>
> Example of the warnings:
>

> /usr/local/grass% xgrass4.1
> Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name:
> osfActivate
> Warning: ... found while parsing '<Key>osfActivate:
> ManagerGadgetSelect() '
> Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name:
> osfSelect
> Warning: ... found while parsing '       <Key>osfSelect:
> ManagerGadgetSelect() '
> Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name: osfHelp
> Warning: ... found while parsing '       <Key>osfHelp:
> ManagerGadgetHelp() '
> Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name:
> osfBeginLine
> .
> In the spring of 93 I imported an earlier compilation of xgrass4.1
> that worked fine, without any warnings.
>

> Terje
>
> -------			     -------		           -------
> Terje Midtboe
> Division of Surveying and Mapping	Phone:  +47 73 59 45 83
> University of Trondheim			Fax:    +47 73 59 46 21
> N-7034 TRONDHEIM			E-mail: terjem at iko.unit.no
> NORWAY
> -------			     -------			   -------

Terje,

I think we just figured this problem out with a little help from our notes.
The following is from a message by Andrew Hertz:

>My understanding is that the openwindows XKeysymDB will not work, you
>want the OSFmotif key mappings.  I used the XKeystmDB that's in the xgrass
>source directories ($GIS/src/xgrass).  If you've only downloaded the
>binaries, I've put a copy of the XKeystmDB in grass/incoming at
>max.cecer.army.mil.  I believe this file MUST be placed in /usr/lib/X11
>because the static binaries have Motif embedded within them and they
>are looking explicitly for /usr/lib/X11/XKeysymDB.
>(You can check this by issuing the command:
> strings xg* | grep XKeystmDB
>in the directory where the xgrass binary executables reside.)
>Changing your path won't help you in this case.
>
>I hope this helps...
>
>Andrew Hertz
>hertz at geog.psu.edu

Most of this seems to be correct, but the XKeysymDB file does not
necessarily need to be in /usr/lib/X11.  What we found is that
you must place the XKeysymDB file in the directory that returns from
the strings command.  We were working on xdigit specificaly (note: using
strings xg*...  will not catch xdigit.  Use strings xdgit ... for this)
and our path is /grass.src/X11R5/lib/X11/XKeysymDB.  This seems to
indicate that it requires the keysym file to be in the exact location
when running that existed when being compiled even if it is a different
machine.

If you have any further questions I will try to help.

Ken Sibley
USDA-SCS
ksibley at ncg.scs.ag.gov