Problems with xgrass4.1 binary version

Terje Midtboe Terje.Midtboe at iko.unit.no
Mon Jan 17 06:03:59 EST 1994

Ken

> [...]
>> fix. Can you explain how to make the program run
>> without these warnings.
>>
>> Example of the warnings:
>>

>> /usr/local/grass% xgrass4.1
>> Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name:
>> osfActivate
>> Warning: ... found while parsing '<Key>osfActivate:
>> ManagerGadgetSelect() '
>> Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name:
>> osfSelect
>> Warning: ... found while parsing '       <Key>osfSelect:
>> ManagerGadgetSelect() '
>> Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name: osfHelp
>> Warning: ... found while parsing '       <Key>osfHelp:
>> ManagerGadgetHelp() '
>> Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name:
>> osfBeginLine
>> .
>> In the spring of 93 I imported an earlier compilation of xgrass4.1
>> that worked fine, without any warnings.
>>

>> Terje
>>
>> -------			     -------		           -------
>> Terje Midtboe
>> Division of Surveying and Mapping	Phone:  +47 73 59 45 83
>> University of Trondheim			Fax:    +47 73 59 46 21
>> N-7034 TRONDHEIM			E-mail: terjem at iko.unit.no
>> NORWAY
>> -------			     -------			   -------

>Terje,

>I think we just figured this problem out with a little help from our notes.
>The following is from a message by Andrew Hertz:

>>My understanding is that the openwindows XKeysymDB will not work, you
>>want the OSFmotif key mappings.  I used the XKeystmDB that's in the xgrass
>>source directories ($GIS/src/xgrass).  If you've only downloaded the
>>binaries, I've put a copy of the XKeystmDB in grass/incoming at
>>max.cecer.army.mil.  I believe this file MUST be placed in /usr/lib/X11
>>because the static binaries have Motif embedded within them and they
>>are looking explicitly for /usr/lib/X11/XKeysymDB.
>>(You can check this by issuing the command:
>> strings xg* | grep XKeystmDB
>>in the directory where the xgrass binary executables reside.)
>>Changing your path won't help you in this case.
>>
>>I hope this helps...
>>
>>Andrew Hertz
>>hertz at geog.psu.edu

>Most of this seems to be correct, but the XKeysymDB file does not
>necessarily need to be in /usr/lib/X11.  What we found is that
>you must place the XKeysymDB file in the directory that returns from
>the strings command.  We were working on xdigit specificaly (note: using
>strings xg*...  will not catch xdigit.  Use strings xdgit ... for this)
>and our path is /grass.src/X11R5/lib/X11/XKeysymDB.  This seems to
>indicate that it requires the keysym file to be in the exact location
>when running that existed when being compiled even if it is a different
>machine.

>If you have any further questions I will try to help.

Thank you very much for your help. That's right, the binary version
requires the XKeysymDB file to be situated at
/grass.src/X11R5/lib/X11/

I have tried it and it works fine. But it is a little bit messy to
make this path on several computers. Is there anybody who knows how to
avoid this problem?

Terje

N-7034 TRONDHEIM			E-mail: terjem at iko.unit.no
NORWAY