site operations

Simon Cox simon at artemis.earth.monash.edu.au
Wed Jan 19 12:05:05 EST 1994

> Simon Cox (simon at artemis.earth.monash.edu.au) writes on 6 Jan 94:
> >Philip Verhagen wrote:
> >>. By the way, to my knowledge the concept of
> >> 'attribute of a site_list' is not very clear in GRASS. Some programs (like
> >> s.surf.tps) assume that you have a 'real' attribute when its preceded by a
> >> #, and otherwise it's considered a comment.
> >
> >I agree that this is not clear, and not clearly documented either!
>
> In the case of s.surf.tps, there's no apparent reason why the '#' is
> needed. Other programs like s.menu (the conversion) and s.voronoi
> use the silly '#' (to some extent).
>
> I've hacked on the man page sites.format to clear things up a little.
> If others want to whack at it, get it from
> pasture.ecn.purdue.edu:pub/mccauley/grass/sites.format,
> make whatever additions/deletions you see fit, and send
> it to olga or someone (grassbug at zorro).
>
> --Darrell

It looks to me like Darrell and Helena are the two people currently most active
programming s.progs.  Is it possible for a definitive decision to be made
by them, and then ratified by CERL?  It looks like one of you will have to
change,
as I think the use of # to indicate a code or an attribute is different between
you (eg s.surf.tps vs s.sample).

Just my farthing's worth

Simon

----
      __  L     Dr Simon Cox
   ,~'  L_|\    VIEPS Department of Earth Sciences,
,-'         \   Monash University, Clayton Vic 3168
(            \  Australia
\    ___     /          Phone +61 3 905 5762
 L,~'   "\_x/           Fax   +61 3 905 5062
           u    simon at artemis.earth.monash.edu.au