Data base access problem.

Malcolm Williamson malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Wed Jan 19 17:50:31 EST 1994

> 1.  Having been a Grass user (and installer), I convinced a collegue to try
> a few things.  Unfortunately,  though he can access GRASS4.1,  he is unable
> to access my database.  After the initial specification of the location and
> mapset, GRASS responds with a message saying "Sorry, no access to <<PERMANENT>>."
> Afterwords, it lists the Mapsets in the location and says
> "note: you do not have access to any of these mapsets"
>
> I have made sure that everyone has read access to the files in the mapset
> (and in fact changed the protection so that everyone had write access), with no
> change in the situations.
>
> I am obviously missing something simple.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Your colleague must have his own mapset, which he will create by giving a new
mapset name in the GRASS start-up window (be sure that the LOCATION directory
has appropriate write and execute permissions for him). Then, he can use the
g.mapsets command to designate which mapsets he can *read* data from. Only the
owner of a mapset can write to it, regardless of perissions (at least, using
standard GRASS commands!).

Regard,
--
Malcolm D. Williamson - Research Assistant       E-mail: malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies      Telephone: (501) 575-6159