Proximity functionality in GRASS?

Brian Culpepper brian at cast.uark.edu
Wed Jan 26 17:33:44 EST 1994

> Hi,
> 	How would GRASS best answer a question like:
>
> "Show me all areas that are 5 miles from site A?"
>
> 				-OR-
> "What areas are 50 meters from highway C AND have a slope of 3-5 degrees?"
>
> Assuming I already know the terrain characteristics, what is the best method
> for asking GRASS this question?  I was thinking of some sort of proximity
> function, but I've found nothing in the manual so far.
>
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
> 	Dianne

Maybe this will work....

g.region map= "site.rast"
r.buffer input=site.rast output=site.buff (with proper params. of 50m)
r.cats site.buff (what cat# is 50m?)
r.reclass slope (slopes of 3-5 deg. equal to 1)
r.mapcalc answer = if((site.buff == "cat#") && slope.reclass)

I'm sure there must be a faster way, but I think this will work....
Don't flame me if not though.

--
R. Brian Culpepper                                 Research Assistant
Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies           (fax) 501 575-3846
University of Arkansas                            brian at cast.uark.edu
Fayetteville, AR 72701