shrinking and twisting screen

Iris Porta iporta at ncg.scs.ag.gov
Mon Jan 31 10:36:28 EST 1994

> From grass-lists-owner at max.cecer.army.mil Mon Jan 31 09:13:49 1994
> From: "wadada" <AGYEI at net2.eos.uoguelph.ca>
> Sender: grass-lists-owner at max.cecer.army.mil
> To: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
> Date:          Mon, 31 Jan 1994 09:54:59 EDT
> Subject:       shrinking and twisting screen
>
> Good day all,
> This is too technical to report here, all the same I still feel some
> of you might have experienced such problems to offer some help. For
> the past four weeks, my screen SHRINKS and TWISTS in the course of my
> working sessions. At times all the characters blow up very big on the
> screen resulting in very small part of text on the screen. When this
> happens and I turn the monitor power on and off, everything comes to
> normal. I am still capable of working alright and don't loose
> anything when it happens only that it the screen appears very nasty
> and undesirable. This problem occurs in DOS,WINDOWS,and UNIX.
>
> This problem occurs so often in the course of my working hours that I
> can't hang on for so long. I took the whole system back to the
> company and was tested for seventy two hours but this problem never
> happened. I was therefore convinced that all was over but immediately
> I brought it home and started working, it come up again! This has
> made me conclude that it might not be a technical problem but
> environmental. I am still looking round for cure but I will
> appreciate it if any of you can be of any help.
>
> Thanks in advance
> eugene

This is just a shot in the dark, but it's something you can easily try.  I
remember having a problem with a monitor display jumping around and generally
doing strange things.  The source of the problem  was found to be a power
distribution box located inside the wall about a foot behind the monitor.
Moving the monitor just a few feet away took care of the problem.