v.support

Susan Huse sue at ced.berkeley.edu
Mon Jan 31 13:56:42 EST 1994

> From grass-lists-owner at max.cecer.army.mil Mon Jan 31 10:30:23 1994
> Date: Mon, 31 Jan 94 18:04:03 GMT
> From: jim%sar_ws at sun14.fb4.noaa.gov (Jim Nolan)
> Sender: grass-lists-owner at max.cecer.army.mil
> To: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
> Subject: v.support
>
> GrassHoppers,
>
> I am running v.support on a file and have somehow mislabeled
> an area.  When I run v.support I get the following error:
>
> PNT_TO_AREA failed: (-89.461628, 45.063927) (Category 2)
>  Number of lines:   396
>  Number of nodes:   385
>  Number of areas:   153
>  Number of isles:   143
>  Number of atts :   0
>  Number of unattached atts :   1
>  Snapped lines  :   0
>
> My question is how can I get rid of this annoying Pt. to area
> failure.  It is not causing me any problems but is annoying
> the heck out of me!!
>
> I have tried to get rid of this in the v.digit Edit module
> but have not found anything there to help me.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jim

>    Jim Nolan            	Phone (301) 763-7439
>    National Ice Center    	Fax (301) 763-4621
>    4251 Suitland Rd.    	EMail jim at sar_ws.fb4.noaa.gov
>    FB#4, Rm. 2301
>    Washington, DC 20395

It may not seem to be causing you troubles, but that section of
category 2 is NOT labeled.  d.what.vect, and v.to.rast won't know that
the area (or line) has a label attached.

The likely difficulty is that an area was not closed properly, and so
the attribute (label) at (-89.461628, 45.063927) can't fit to
the area.  You need to go back into v.digit, and fix that area.

Some things to do are, use Toolbox, show open areas to find it.  If
that doesn't work try Window, where am i, to locate the label position.
Once you've found the problem area, look for unsnapped nodes (Toolbox,
show node lines) crossed lines (intersections without proper nodes), or
something similar.  Once you've located it, fix it with Edit.  You'll
need to run v.support again to rebuild the topology.

Good luck

-Sue Huse
CEDR - REGIS
UC Berkeley