GRASS installation on Silicon Graphics

Shaun Poulton spoulton at ssp.nmfs.gov
Fri Jul 1 09:51:08 EDT 1994

I have successfully installed GRASS on an SGI Indigo workstation using
both 5.1 and 5.2.  The directions I used to do this were:

1. Untar the files.
2. Change references in grass4.1, xgrass4.1 and etc/monitorcap from [your
GISBASE] to your actual base directory full path name.
3. in the file setup.script add a first line that contains only a colon
(:) if there is not one already there.
4. make setup.script executable
5. run setup.script.  When it asks for your GISBASE give it your base
directory full path name.
6. move grass4.1 and xgrass4.1 to /usr/local/bin or wherever you may want
them.
7. move files in /data to <your database directory>/<location name>/PERMANENT
8. run grass4.1 or xgrass4.1
9. Make sure the permissions are correct.

If you run into any problems let me know.

Shaun Poulton
National Marine Fisheries Service
spoulton at ccgate.ssp.nmfs.gov or spoulton at kingfish.ssp.nmfs.gov