AWKward programming

Steve Dzurenko steve at ocesun1.oce.uri.EDU
Thu Jul 14 17:06:43 EDT 1994

David,

How ironic!  I just started to learn AWK today, and I see your message.
If you know C, AWK is very similar.  I know C pretty well and have been
making very quick progress with AWK, it's pretty simple really, I think
it was intended to be a simple language.  Two hours ago, the only thing
I knew about AWK was how to spell it but I just finished writing a 20
line program which ran perfectly (after a few debugs).

I browsed through the section on AWK in a UNIX reference called "UNIX
for the Impatient", Abrahams and Larson, Addison-Wesley Publishing.
I would assume most thorough UNIX references would contain some document-
ation on AWK.  If you know C, this is all you will need.  If you do not
know C, you will need a more thorough AWK reference, and maybe even a
C reference to keep by your side.  AWK is thoroughly described by its
authors in "The AWK Programming Language", Aho, Kernighan, and Weinberger,
Addison-Wesley, 1988.

That's about all I know, at least on this subject.  Hope it helps.

-Stephen Dzurenko
 Ocean Mapping Division
 Ocean Technology Center
 Graduate School of Oceanography