GRASS cannot be used by the U.S. Forest Service?

Jeff Borchers jborcher at max.cecer.army.mil
Thu Jun 2 09:30:13 EDT 1994

In article <01HCYN4V33OY0007QF at PLAINS.UWYO.EDU> BAKERWL at uwyo.edu writes:
>From: BAKERWL at uwyo.edu
>Subject: GRASS cannot be used by the U.S. Forest Service?
>Date: 31 May 94 01:54:19 GMT

>I have recently been attempting to help our nearby forest with some
>analyses using the r.le programs in GRASS.  The Forest itself wants
>to install GRASS and use the r.le programs.  However, the Forest
>asked the Regional Office for permission to install GRASS on their
>HP workstation, and apparently they do not want GRASS to be installed,
>worrying about possible complications regarding their Project 615
>purchase of GIS equipment.

>I find it hard to accept that our government will not accept free
>software needed to accomplish their mission, but I'm sure there
>are legal uncertainties.

>I have two questions.  First, are there people out there in U.S.
>Forest Service offices who are openly using GRASS?  Second, is
>this a legitimate concern on the part of the Forest Service?

>It seems shortsighted to me that skilled people in the Forest
>Service may be discouraged from using much of the free and quite
>useful software available on the net!

>        Bill Baker
>        bakerwl at uwyo.edu

Dear Bill;

We are using grass openly and with apparent impunity; however, I work for the
research branch of the forest service and attitudes may differ from the
National Forest branch.  The 615 system is going to be implemented here very
soon (a test site) and there appears to be no conflict.

Jeff Borchers
borchers at fsl.orst.edu
Global Environmental Protection Program
Forestry Sciences Laboratory