Postscript / GRASS

N R A nra at cix.compulink.co.uk
Thu Jun 2 11:24:00 EDT 1994

Has anyone managed to use 'Image Alchemy' to convert the output from
ps.map to any other format. I've downloaded the demo version, but the
manual only has a reference to 'Encapsulated Postscript' and it can only
write EPS, not read it.

There was also mention of a Postscript to raster convertor called
'Freedom of the Press' - does anyone have any information on it - where
to get it, is it PD/shareware, can I ftp a copy/demo ?

The problem I'm trying to solve is output from GRASS on a Novajet - I
know 'mapgen' could output hpgl, but I've not managed to get 'mapgen' to
run. I'd hoped to use 'ps.map' as that works fine with our Laserjet 4
(for b&w A4) and we've ordered a HP300XL with Postscript (for colour A3).
I'd like to use the same output tool and so would like to be able to
convert GRASS Postscript to HP RTL, which the Novajet understands.

As a related question, does anyone know why the Postscript that GRASS
'ps.map' produces, is not acceptable to Corel Draw 3 ? - the input stops
about half way through with an error warning. Is the Postscript true
Postscript - but then out Laserjet 4 handles it fine - confused

Thanks for any help - I know I've been going on about this for a while,

Steve Culshaw
NRA North West
e-mail : nra at cix.compulink.co.uk (use this for general usage)
or         sculshaw at cix.compulink.co.uk (Private - only checked at best