r.le.patch version 2.1beta

BAKERWL at UWYO.EDU BAKERWL at UWYO.EDU
Thu Jun 16 12:41:10 EDT 1994

A beta version of r.le.patch version 2.1 is now available on the
grass/incoming directory at moon.cecer.army.mil in file rlepatch21beta.tar.Z
I would appreciate it if anyone who has used r.le.patch and is willing
to try the new code out would do so before July 1, 1994 and inform me
of any compilation problems or bugs.  I will then release version 2.1
sometime in July (I hope!).  I am sorry to have to put out another beta
release of r.le.patch, but there are very significant changes to this
program since version 2.05 (which never made it out of beta).

Version 2.1 has new measures for patch core area, has solved previous
problems with running out of memory, allows multiple moving window measures
during one run, allows isolated diagonal pixels to be included (or not) in
a patch, runs about 25% faster, and fixes several other bugs.  The program
can now (I hope!) be used to analyze very large maps (Landsat TM size),
although of course large maps will require lots of time to analyze.

Once r.le.patch is out of beta and fully released, I will transfer the
new code that it contains into the other r.le programs (r.le.tex, etc.).
Thus I anticipate a full r.le version 2.1 release later this Summer, or
at worst in early Fall.

For those who do not know, the r.le programs are a suite of contributed
programs for calculating a variety of common measures of landscape
structure from GRASS maps containing "patches"  The r.le.patch program
can output 35 patch-related measures of landscape structure, such as
patch size, shape, amount of perimeter, fractal dimension, etc.

Please send any comments on the programs, bug reports, etc. directly
to me.  I would very much appreciate anyone's help in trying out this
new code.

	Bill Baker
	bakerwl at uwyo.edu
	Univ. of Wyoming