Making small raster areas

Malcolm Williamson malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Wed Jun 29 11:32:08 EDT 1994

Steve Culshaw writes:

> Can someone help on this problem. I've got our DTM in (finally - thanks
> to all who helped), and drawn it. The range of values if such that large
> areas look the same colour - I assume this is a limitation of GRASS with
> a pallette of 255 colours ??
>
> If I was to select a smaller area, e.g. a single river catchment, how
> could I change the colour range such that only the values in the smaller
> area were used - thus increasing the spread of colours.
>
> Can I copy a chunk of the large DTM to produce a small raster ??
>
> Thanks for any help,

GRASS reflects the limits of your 8-bit color display with its pallette. There
are actually substantially less than 256 colors available, due to colors
reserved for your desktop, etc. - see the GRASShopper archive for discussion
on this. As for your particular question, if you use r.resample to isolate
a small portion of your DTM you should be able to display more category colors.
Make sure that you have your colormode set to "float" (d.colormode float;d.erase
). You may have to reset your color table using r.colors, after you resample.

Regards,
--
Malcolm D. Williamson - Research Assistant       E-mail: malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies      Telephone: (501) 575-6159