v.digit driver?

Lawrence Houston houston at norton.geog.mcgill.ca
Thu Mar 3 02:31:11 EST 1994

On Wed, 2 Mar 1994, Doug Hersh wrote:

> I requested help using v.digit without a digitizer.  When I select [none]
> as my digitizer I get the message:
>
> sh: /usr2/local/grass4.0/etc/dig_drivers/none/digit: not found
>

> Cristina Seabra suggested:
> >From: cis at lua.cecer.army.mil
>
> >Hello Doug,
>
> >You have to create a file in your /usr2/local/grass4.0/etc/ named digcap that
> >has the information that the driver being used is none.It can be like this:
>
> >none:nodig:nofile: Run digit without the digitizer.
>
> I tried variants of Cristina's suggestions.  I believe the file is digitcap,
> not digicap,

For GRASS 4.0's v.digit and GRASS 4.1's v.digit2 (same as GRASS 4.0), the
correct file is "digitcap" (digcap is only for GRASS 4.1's v.digit).

>              and I tried changing "none:nodig:digit:  Run digit without the
> ..."to "none:nodig:nofile:

"none:nodig:digit:  Run digit without the digitizer." is the correct entry.

>                             Run digit without the digitizer"
> but this only produced the error message:
>
> sh: /usr2/local/grass4.0/etc/dig_drivers/none/nofile: not found
>                                               ------
> Since I didn't have a file "nofile" or "digit" in the dig_drivers/none/
> directory I created one without anything in it, but it didn't change
> the response of the program.  Do I need to put anything in this
>
> sh: /usr2/local/grass4.0/etc/dig_drivers/none/nofile
>
> ??
>
> Does anyone else have any idea what might be the problem?

You seem to missing the whole point here, the third parameter in the
digitcap entry is the actual name of a binary executable program, which is
the basic v.digit program with appropriate code added for the particular
digitizer in question.  In your case
/usr2/local/grass4.0/etc/dig_drivers/none/digit is where the version
particular to having no digitizer should be found.  You will have to
compile this version of v.digit before it will work.

Lawrence Houston  -  (houston at norton.geog.mcgill.ca)