MAPGEN

Gerald I. Evenden gie at charon.er.usgs.gov
Fri Mar 4 08:57:02 EST 1994

>Date: Thu, 3 Mar 94 16:40:35 -0800
>From: oregon at chaos.ATS.ORST.EDU (George Taylor)
>To: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
>Subject: MAPGEN
>
>Hello,
>
>Can an experienced MAPGEN user explain if the following task is
>possible and how one might accomplish it.
>
>I have taken the output from r.contour (after running v.support)
>and brought that data set into MAPGEN using the "make.line" command.
>I've also imported the attributes with "make.label".  After running
>"show.sh" , the lines and labels are plotted in the graphics window,
>but there is one label for the entire length of the line.
>
>I would like to plot that line and with its attribute label it
>
>at some specified interval.  I've tried using the more fundamental
>"lines" command but am still unable to produce a labelled contour
>line.  Is this possible with MAPGEN?
>
>Wayne Gibson
>Oregon State University

Proper contour labelling is a difficult job and generally beyond
the capability of a basic graphic system such as MAPGEN.  In my
own experience with contour programs, this task is the function of
the contouring program and not the graphics package.  That is,
the criteria for where and how often a contour label is put down
is a property that has to be determined from the nature of the
contour line (more or less linear segments, distance between
labels which should also take into acount closure, ... ).

The only way MAPGEN can handle this problem is if the contour
program determines where the labels go and outputs necessary
MAPGEN command sequences to interrupt the line and post the
character string.

Gerald (Jerry) I. Evenden   Internet: gie at charon.er.usgs.gov
voice: (508)563-6766          Postal: P.O. Box 1027
  fax: (508)457-2310                  N.Falmouth, MA 02556-1027