Tcl/Tk and GRASS

Peter Mikes mikes at angmar.llnl.gov
Fri Mar 4 16:54:57 EST 1994

  Jereremy Stocks of University of Wales, wrote (about Khoros+Grass union)

| My sentiments too. The bit of Khoros I've seen I've been very impressed with,
|but if it is hard to hack its code, and also to find storage space for it - not
|all of us have the necessary 80MB - not everyone will have equal access to
|be able to modify Cantata.

     I (pom) am certainly not pushing Khoros, jsut being a fair witness,
      (at least trying to be). I am not involved in development of Khoros.

      The size of the monster certainly is a consideration.
      That in itself may justify need for having two aproaches to GUI,
      simple one AND one with 'all the bells and whistles' which will be large.    On the other hand, hacking the code is not necessary to customise Cantata.
     Khoros has a tool (preview) which makes it simple and fast to add buttons
     dialog boxes, etc, (once you have spent same time to learn the Users Interface
     Specification (UIS) codes. To add button or menu entry does not require
     recompilation, and in fact, different users may use different cantata forms,
     with the same set  of  Khoros binaries. Generality has rewards and penalties.

  I have not played with Tcl/Tk as yet, and will post my impression comparing
     the flexibility and ease of use of the two tools, if people are interested.

     In the meantime, some people asked me what 'it' is. For those, here are few
     lines from Khoros META-FAQ (having a META already  tells you that it is BIG) :

   The khoros mailing list is bi-directionally gatewayed onto the
         USENET newsgroup comp.soft-sys.khoros.  To be added to, or
          removed from, the list, mail: khoros-request at chama.eece.unm.edu

           Khoros is available for free via anonymous ftp  from sites in
           US, Europe and Japan.
           You can also order a tape and printed manual (cost: media+shipping),
           mail khoros-request at chama.eece.unm.edu for details.

    Peter ======> e-mail: pom at llnl.gov         (pom)