Map-specific regions

Conn Copas C.V.Copas at lut.ac.uk
Tue Mar 8 15:06:16 EST 1994

GRASSrs

I have to confess to having confused myself over region-handling, and could
use some pointers. My understanding is this: the current region is stored in
WIND, whilst map-specific regions are stored in 'cellhd' under the appropriate
name. A high-level interface to all this is provided by 'g.region', which
allows one to retrieve the default region, the current region, and map-specific
regions. One obvious use of map-specific regions is during overlays; we want
the overlay to conform to the original, not necessarily the current, region.
So far, so good. The problem is that when I either run 'g.region' or look in
'cellhd', the region is invariably the default region (at least in release
4.0). I have a nagging feeling that I am confounding data and views here. Can
someone set me straight? Secondly, is there any alternative means of
enquiring about the region boundaries of a given map that is on display?

Conn V Copas  C.V.Copas at lut.ac.uk