PhotoCD & UNIX? - PCD to TIFF?

Ronald Thomas ront at picea.CFNR.ColoState.EDU
Wed Mar 9 19:51:19 EST 1994

We have some National Aerial Photography Program slides scanned onto a
Kodak PhotoCD (multisession), and want to import them into our UNIX
GIS system (GRASS).  My questions:

1)	Can a PhotoCD be mounted on a UNIX system?  If so, how?
	(I tried the standard "mount -r /dev/sr0 /cdrom", but no luck
	-- is it a specific file system type that needs to be noted?)
	I can attach the CD to either a SPARCclassic or an IPX.

2)	If # 1 is possible, can I just copy the *.pcd files I want to my
	SPARCclassic and use as they are, or do I need to run "dos2unix"
	on them?

3)	Is there a PCD to TIFF converter around, perhaps as a new addition
	to the PBMplus toolkit?  (I'd like a straight, hi-resolution
	conversion of the PCD format to TIFF)

4)	Is there a UNIX (SunOS 4.1.3 or Sol 2.2) viewer of Kodak
	PhotoCD's, or a program that views/reads/converts the
	*.pcd format?

Some background:

Each *.pcd image is > 4M , and Corel (Draw/PhotoPaint) can not import at
the highest resolution (on a 486/66 w/8M RAM).  This was my initial plan --
to use Corel(something) to convert to TIFF.

Any help sent our way will be GREATLY appreciated!!

Ronald Thomas                                ront at meeker.cfnr.colostate.edu
 Natural Resource Spec. (GIS)         ^^^    Phone: 303-586-3565  x285
  Resources Management Division  ^^  ^^^^^   FAX: 303-586-4702
   Rocky Mountain National Park ^^^ ^^^^^^^  Estes Park, CO  80517