Who does quantitative geomorphology with GRASS?

Hartmut Guendra cr1 at aixfile1.urz.uni-heidelberg.de
Sat Mar 12 17:29:42 EST 1994

> We would like to get the names and addresses of people who
> are using GRASS and DEM data to generate a stream drainage
> network and the derivative quantitative geomorphic
> parameters (Horton-Strahler or better).  That is, who has used
> GRASS to get stream orders, and number, length, slope,
> drainage area, etc., per order?  We know of this having been
> done with ARC-INFO, and we know of Garbrecht's generation
> of these data with Fortran, but who has done it with GRASS
> only?

(This is a additions to the mail of Stefan Jaeger)

I'm member of the "Arbeitsgruppe Computergestuetzte Geomorphologie"
(workinggroup computer aided geomorphology), Department of Geography, Univ.
Heidelberg (Germany), working together with Dr. R. Dikau.

There are several subjects we are handling with:

- regionalization in Hydrology
- soil erosion
- natural hazard assessment
- landform classification
- landform - soil relationships
- general morphometry

Since the last ten years this group developed some tools, concernig computer
aided geomorphology. For example a landform modeling tool, that deliniates
30 morphometric attributes from DEM's, including cummulative upslope catchment
calculation with a divergent flow algorithm. Currently, we are testing some of these
tools ported to GRASS.

I agree to summarize these responses. Besides that I think, that we
(quantitative geomorphologists) should keep closer contact.
In general, we are very interested in exchanging data and models.

Dear Richard Beechman,

please contact me or better Dr. Dikau (rdikau at geo0.geog.uni-heidelberg.de),
concerning landform classification.

 Hartmut

Hartmut Guendra
Geographisches Institut
Universitaet Heidelberg          Phone: (+49)-6221-564582
INF 348                          FAX  : (+49)-6221-564996
69120 Heidelberg                 email: hartmut at geo0.geog.uni-heidelberg.de
Germany