Thanks for responses about r.mapcalc

martijn at scanner.frw.uva.nl martijn at scanner.frw.uva.nl
Mon Mar 21 11:41:52 EST 1994

On Mon, 21 Mar 1994, S. E. Walker wrote:

> 	Still, I'm a little disappointed that the problem wasn't
> my misunderstanding of how to write a proper r.mapcalc expression.
> It's seems that GRASS should be able to input and output numeric
> category labels without thinking too hard.

Well, actually you should be only half-disappointed, because Grass CAN
input numeric labels (using the appropriate r.mapcalc option). Many
people have already complained about Grass requiring `empty' categories
to exist. This comes up when you want a legend, when you want to reclass
or to d.colors etc etc... Let's hope this can be improved in time for
version 4.2.

I should add that usually the Grass community is much faster in providing
a solution to a problem then are commercial GIS vendors and supporters.
In Grass at least you can hack your way out of trouble....

Martijn van Leusen