grass installation

Mark P. Line markline at henson.cc.wwu.edu
Thu Mar 24 03:56:52 EST 1994

On Wed, 23 Mar 1994 SL6R2 at cc.usu.edu wrote:

> Can anyone please tell me how to install the grass4.1 linux binaries?  I only
> have access to them by downloading to MS-DOS, so I used rawrite3 to copy them
> ('linuxaa', etc.) to floppy disks.  Now I don't know how to transfer them to
> a linux partition.  Thanks in advance.

Do you mean you don't know how to get what's on the floppies onto your
Linux hard drive partition, or you don't know what to do with the files
linuxa* once you get them there, or both?

For the former, that depends on how your DOS program put the data on the
floppies. If it did things so that Unix/Linux has a chance, and if you
have exactly one file (linuxaa, linuxab, etc.) per floppy, then I would
suggest cd'ing down to the directory where you want the files to land and
doing

     cp /dev/fd0H1440 linuxaa

for each floppy and file. You'll need to figure out which /dev/fdSomething
to use, depending on what drive & format you're using. And of course
you'll do the above ten times with ten floppies, and give the correct file
name each time.

As to what to do with the linuxa* files once you have them on your Linux
partition, that's explained quite succinctly in the README file that was
in the same directory on topquark as the linuxa* files, which you will
have downloaded also. If you missed getting that file, let me know and
I'll email you my copy. I'll need it back real soon, though. :)

-- Mark

Mark P. Line                       Phone: +1-206-733-6040
Open Pathways                        Fax: +1-206-733-6040
P.O. Box F                         Email: markline at henson.cc.wwu.edu
Bellingham, WA 98227-0296