GPS + Grass

James Darrell McCauley mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Tue May 10 06:31:12 EDT 1994

J.R. Spidell (jspidell at cl08.cnde.iastate.edu) writes on 9 May 94:
>Has anyone used Grass to read in GPS type data from the PC's serial
>port?  If so, which pieces of GRASS was used?

Are you talking about simply transferring data from the PC (base station)
to your GRASS machine (work station), or do you have UNIX/GRASS on
the PC and wish to read in data directly from your mobile (hand held?)
unit? I.e., I do not understand *what's* connected *where* or what the
objective is.

The only thing that reads data from a serial port (that I'm aware of)
is v.digit.  You may, however, get it or 'kermit' (a non-GRASS
program) to do what you want.

"I've never tried this but..." perhaps the new configurable
v.digit could be taught to send the right codes so that
a mobile unit or PC could send the data through serial ports.
Could be a fun way to spend an afternoon ;-)

The only GPS stuff that I've played with (Trimble) came with DOS software
that wrote GRASS site lists...

--Darrell
James Darrell McCauley, Purdue Univ, West Lafayette, IN 47907-1146, USA
mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu, mccauley%ecn at purccvm.bitnet, pur-ee!mccauley
** will finish PhD/engr in 9/94 - need job. inquiries welcome (no hh, plz) **
** Personal WWW page URL ftp://pasture.ecn.purdue.edu/pub/mccauley/me.html **